Niantic man dead after Thursday morning house fire

Niantic man dead after Thursday morning house fire

NIANTIC– A Thursday morning house fire claimed the life of a 64 year old Niantic man.

 

Macon County Coroner Michael Day said in a news release that firefighters found David Register’s body while battling the fire. An autopsy shows Register died from smoke inhalation.

 

The fire consumed a house on the 300 block of South Main Street Thursday morning and required members of 5 departments to put it out.

 

Niantic Fire Protection District Chief Randy Hiser said damages to the house amounted to over $50,000.

 

The fire is being investigated by the State Fire Marshal and the Illinois State Police. the fire is believed to have been accidental.