January 18 – A kitchen fire at a Hickory Street residence Thursday caused significant smoke damage and displaced a woman and her two children.
Decatur Fire Department crews arrived at 1212 E. Hickory Street shortly after 11 p.m. Thursday and found heavy smoke coming from the kitchen. Firefighters had the blaze under control in about 10 minutes.
No one was injured; a smoke alarm alerted the woman to the fire and she and her kids were able to exit the building safely. They are being assisted by the Red Cross.
Damage to the home was estimated at around $6,000.