- Decatur Civic Center Arena, 1 Gary Anderson Plaza. Bring your ice skates or rent the Civic Center’s, for open ice schedules visit decaturciviccenter.org, $, 217-422-7300.
- XMAS Articles 2018 Opening Event – Madden Arts Center, Anne Lloyd Gallery, 125 N. Water St. Original art and fine crafts for sale from many artists in varied mediums, opening event 11/30
- First Friday Gallery Walk 5-7:30pm. General gallery extended hours M-F 8:30am-5:30pm, Sa 10am-4pm, free admission, 217-423-3189
- Sleigh Bells Ring, Come and Listen – Country Club of Decatur, 135 N. Country Club Rd. The Symphony Orchestra Guild’s annual fundraiser, a gala evening with dinner, fine wines, live auction, music and dancing, black tie optional, funds raised benefit the Millikin-Decatur Symphony Orchestra, the Decatur Youth Orchestra and music education programs funded by the Guild, 6pm, $, reservations required, 217-423-3189.
November 30 & December 1
- The Re-Gifters Holiday Dinner Theatre –Decatur Club, 158 W. Prairie Ave. When a couple re-gifts a not-so-great Christmas present, then finds out that it’s worth a fortune, they will stop at nothing to get it back, annual holiday dinner theatre with proceeds benefitting Theatre 7, doors open 6pm, dinner 6:30pm, show 7pm, $, 217-429-4200.
- Downtown Decatur. Annual Nighttime Lighted Christmas Parade! A day full of fun family events! Funds raised from the parade benefit Macon County CASA. – Step off at 5:30pm, Downtown Decatur
- At the Madden Arts Center – 1-3 p.m. – Decatur Area Arts Council – 2nd floor Barnett Arts Studio- Create a hand-crafted holiday ornament (Free)
- Children’s Museum of Illinois – 2nd floor Schmalz Classroom- Create a Christmas cards that lights up (Free)
- At The Art Farm – 2-4 p.m – Create a clay art project
- At the Decatur Public Library – 3-5 p.m., 1st floor Madden Auditorium- Showing of “The Polar Express” (Free), 2nd floor Children’s Auditorium- Classic Christmas animated shorts (Free)
- At Wild flour Artisan Bakery & Cafe – 3-5:30 p.m – Gingerbread cookie decorating (for a small fee)
- The 60th Annual Millikin Performance of Vespers at Kirkland Fine Arts Center – 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Click Here for Tickets
- The 60th Annual Millikin Performance of Vespers at Kirkland Fine Arts Center – 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Click Here for Tickets. As Cancer Care Specialists of Illinois’ gift to the community, the Sunday, December 2th 7:30pm performance of Vespers will be broadcast live on WSOY 1340AM/ 103.3FM and online at NowDecatur.com. In addition, a podcast of the performance will be available on NowDecatur.com to enjoy through the holiday season.
- Christmas Open House at James Millikin Homestead – 125 N. Pine St. Tour the beautifully decorated Homestead, Sweet Shop Bakery treats for sale, proceeds support the preservation and restoration of the Homestead, 12:30-4:30pm, free, 217-422-9003.
- Victorian Christmas Tea at Oglesby Mansion – 421 W. William St. Enjoy an old-fashioned Christmas celebration at Governor Oglesby’s beautiful Victorian mansion, refreshments served, 1-4pm, free, 217-429-9422.
- Downtown Decatur Christmas Walk – 5 – 8 p.m,
- Extended retail hours
- Over 30 retailers and restaurants participating
- Free trolley ride
- Free hot chocolate stations along trolley route
- Santa House 4pm-8pm
- Neuhoff Media Holiday Chamber Business after Hours ; 5p-7p
- Disney’s Frozen, Elsa and Olaf pictures at Hickory Point Bank
- Carolers and street entertainers
- Cocoa & Cookies – Children’s Museum of Illinois, 55 S. Country Club Rd. Join Santa for an evening of crafts, cocoa, cookies and fun, PJ’s encouraged, 6-8pm, $, pre-registration suggested, 217-423-5437.
- Nutcracker Ballet – Richland Community College, Shilling Auditorium, 1 College Park. Annual Nutcracker Ballet, a family holiday tradition, presented by Richland Dance & Mid-Summer Moon Productions, Sugar Plum Tea for guests after the Sunday performance, F 7pm, Sa 2 & 7pm, Su 2:30pm, $, 217-875-7211 ext. 6170.
- The Miracles of Christmas – Little Theatre On The Square, 16 E. Harrison, Sullivan. New musical about Becca who has lost the spirit of Christmas, featuring many favorite holiday songs, 2 & 7:30pm, $, 217-728-7375.
- Holiday Jazz – Celebrate the sounds of the season during the 11th anniversary of Holiday Jazz! The Millikin University Jazz Sextet features School of Music faculty Dave Burdick, Brian Justison, Chris Nolte, Perry Rask, Randy Reyman, and Steve Widenhofer returning once again to get you in the Holiday spirit with their jazzy swing on Holiday classics. Upbeat and soothing favorites are sure to make everyone in the family tap their toes and sing along. Featuring vocal Jazz great and Millikin alum Angel Spiccia, it will be a night to remember! 7:30 pm at Kirkland Fine Arts Center. Click Here for more.
- 95Q Secret Santa Concert – Decatur Civic Center, 1 Gary K. Anderson Plaza. Annual 95Q holiday event, time TBA, $, 217-422-7300.
- PJ’s Party with Santa at Scovill Zoo – Scovill Zoo, 71 S. Country Club Rd. Bring your pillow, wear your PJ’s, visit with Santa and Mrs. Claus, ornament making, cookie decorating, animal presentation, children must be accompanied by an adult, 1-3pm or 5-7pm, $, 217-421-7435.
- Chamber Orchestra Advent Service – Central Christian Church, 650 W. William St. The Millikin-Decatur Symphony Chamber Orchestra performs in a service of the season, caroling favorites, 10:30am, free, 217-428-4336.
- No Room at the Inn Nativity Display – James Millikin Homestead, 125 N. Pine St. Large variety of Nativity set styles on loan from local residents, vintage to modern collections, refreshments served, proceeds support the preservation and restoration of the Homestead, 1-5pm, $, 217-422-9003.
- Santa Shuffle – Decatur Indoor Sports Center (DISC), 1295 W. Wood St. Non-competitive fun run for ages two-10 on the indoor track from 1/8 to one mile, games and inflatables, all participants receive a medal, cookie and photo with Santa, ages two to four, 3:30-4pm; ages five to six, 4-4:30pm; ages seven to eight; 4:30-5pm; ages nine-10 5-5:30pm, $, 217-429-3472.
- Christmas High Tea – Mari-Mann Herb Co., 1405 Mari Mann Ln. Annual full English High Tea featuring 12 sweet and savory treats, tea and mulled cider, Christmas stories and special surprises, 12-2pm, $, reservations required, 217-429-1555.
- Tribute to the Trans-Siberian Orchestra –Decatur Civic Center, 1 Gary K. Anderson Plaza. Experience the power, music and magic of The Prophecy Show featuring songs from most of TSO’s albums, 7pm, $, 217-422-7300
- Celebrate the Season – Country Club of Decatur, 135 N. Country Club Rd. Lunch and program by Champaign resident Rick Orr who will demonstrate how to make live winter arrangements, presented by the Garden Club of Decatur, social hour 11am, lunch 12pm, program 1pm, $, reservations required, 217-864-1371.
December 21 & 22
- Gingerbread House Workshop – Children’s Museum of Illinois, 55 S. Country Club Rd. Decorate your own gingerbread house, fun for the whole family, all materials provided, 10am-12pm & 1-3pm, $, reservations required, 217-423-5437.
- Happy Noon Year – Children’s Museum of Illinois, 55 S. Country Club Rd. A special countdown to noon to bring in the New Year, crafts and dancing, 10am-2pm, $, pre-registration encouraged, 217-423-5437.
- New Year’s Eve Ice Skating Party –Decatur Civic Center, Ice Arena, 1 Gary K. Anderson Plaza. Music, games and ice skating, 7:30pm-12:30am, $, 217-422-7300.
Do you have a Holiday event that you want submitted for Downtown Decatur?
Please email Lindsay Romano with Neuhoff Media.