WSOY and our community partners are pleased to announce the 16th annual WSOY Community Food Drive on October 6th at Airport Plaza Kroger on Rt. 36 in Decatur. We have joined together to help stock our local food pantries. Last year, over 1.4 million pounds of food was collected during our twelve hours of broadcast and this year we hope to exceed 1.5 million pounds!
Over the past fifteen years, over 7.8 million pounds of food has been collected. Last year, because of the wonderful generosity of the community, the WSOY Community Food Drive was able to help Catholic Charities, The Salvation Army, The Good Samaritan Inn, Northeast Community Fund, The Judy Mason Thanksgiving Basket Project. Reasonable Services, God’s Shelter of Love, AMELCA Food Pantry, Moundford Free Methodist Food Pantry and Interchurch Council of Blue Mound, Boody, Stonington and Macon.
October 6, 2017
Airport Plaza Kroger
Rt. 36 in Decatur
Goal: 1.5 Million Pounds of Food!
How To Give
To find out how to volunteer (groups and business also accepted) , call Debbie Bogle at 422-8537 OR you can sign up using the online portal:
Every year the food drive has hundreds of great volunteers, but one volunteer is recognized as being outstanding. The Geoffrey Neuhoff Spirit Award is given to honor and recognize someone that shows exemplary service to the WSOY Community Food Drive. Last year the recipient was Jeff Daly.
How To Donate Now:
- You can make an ONLINE DONATION through the Community Foundation below:
- Make checks out to: WSOY Community Food Drive – Tax deductable donations and donations to be matched must be made to Community Foundation (Food Drive in Memo)
- Mailing address for donations:
Soy Capital Bank
c/o Community Food Drive
455 N. Main Street
Decatur, IL 62523
- Tax Deductible donations:
The Community Foundation
C/O: The WSOY Food Drive
125 N Water St., Suite 200
Decatur, IL 62523
- Kroger is also selling pre-packages bags for purchase and donation prior to the WSOY Community Food Drive. Just purchase a bag and leave it at Kroger in the donation bin!
During The WSOY Community Food Drive on October 6th:
- Donate On October 6th By phone: 875-3350 (First Christian Church) – Check pledge, Visa and MasterCard Welcome. Please let them know if your company offers matching.
- Donate on October 6th at Kroger on Rt. 36, Airport Plaza, Mt. Zion.
- If your company/or organization is collecting food, you can schedule a pick up on October 6th by calling Debbie Bogle 422-8537
How To Get Involved
For questions about getting your school involved, call Pete Vercellino at 520-5098
Thanks to our community partners we are able to again offer a substantial financial award to the top five local schools that collect the most food for our drive. Individuals and groups can collect food ahead of time or come out to Kroger that day and donate food or cash in the name of a particular school. The top five schools that generate the most food in pounds will be awarded a cash prize. Anyone can help support their favorite school by donating in the name of your school. Parents, grandparents, booster clubs, bands, athletic teams and teachers can and will make the difference. All Macon County Schools grades K-12 are eligible to participate.
This year’s cash awards are as follows:
1st Place – $2,500
2nd Place – $1,500
3rd Place – $1,000
4th Place – $750
5th Place – $500
We are asking you to join our community partners: ADM, Team Soy – Soy Capital Bank & J.L. Hubbard Insurance and Bonds, Skeff Distributing, Jones & Thomas/JTnet, Decatur Back & Neck Center, Tickets N Trips, First Christian Church, Dale’s Southlake Pharmacy & Colee’s Corner Drugs, DynaGraphics/Wood Printing, Kroger, Herald & Review, and WAND-TV in getting the word out to your employees and the community at large.
Please encourage them to be a part of the 16th Annual WSOY Community food Drive – October 6th, 2017 from 6AM-6PM at Airport Plaza Kroger on Rt. 36 in Decatur. There are many ways you can help:
- Distribute bags to your employees to be filled and dropped off at Kroger on Rt. 36 East during the food drive on October 6th. You can also arrange for donation pick up. Employees can also designate their donations to the school of their choice to help those schools win cash prizes for the most food raised.
- You can participate by making a monetary donation. Checks can be made to “WSOY Community Food Drive”. (Tax deductable donations should be made to the Community Foundation c/o WSOY Community Food drive.)
- If your business has a marquis, show your support by displaying “WSOY Community Food Drive, October 6th, 2017. 6am-6pm Kroger Rt. 36 East”
- You can also assist us by donating an hourly incentive such as sporting event tickets and gift cards to use as giveaways to encourage giving during our live broadcast.
- Let us know if your company is doing a special promotion or fundraiser for the food drive so we can share it! You can email details to email@example.com
To find out how your company can get involved or to request bags to distribute to employees, please call Karin Betzer at J.L. Hubbard Insurance and Bonds at 217-877-3344 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
To find out how to Volunteer, call Debbie Bogle at 422-8537 OR you can sign up using the online portal:
Every year the food drive has hundreds of great volunteers but one volunteer is recognized as being outstanding. The Geoffrey Neuhoff Spirit Award is given to honor and recognize someone that shows exemplary service to the WSOY Community Food Drive. Last year the recipient was Jeff Daly.
For overall questions and media inquires, please contact Lindsay Romano at 217-423-974.
Thank you for your interest in The WSOY Community Food Drive! We would like to learn more about your organization and how we may be able to work together to fight hunger. All applicants must currently be providing food assistance. Please read the guidelines below and download the grant application HERE. Completed applications can be emailed to LindsayRomano@neuhoffmedia.com or you can drop off or mail the application to WSOY Community Food Drive, 250 N. Water St., Suite 100, Decatur IL, 62523. For questions, please call 217-423-9744 and ask for Lindsay.
The application process is outlined below.
- Application is reviewed and assessed by The WSOY Food Drive Committee (herein known as Committee) based on information provided.
- Fund availability from the 2017 WSOY Community Food Drive is not guaranteed.
- Fund availability is also determined by donations received during the 2017 WSOY Community Food Drive. (Currently scheduled for October 6th. Subject to change) Funds must first be fully processed before distribution can begin.
- Should a WSOY Community Food Drive grant be awarded, the funds must solely be used for the purchase of food. Funds cannot be used for administrative costs, transportation, delivery, food storage or processing or other programs/services offered by your agency.
- Prior to grant approval, the Committee may require a scheduled visit to your organization. The site visit is to confirm the program information you’ve provided and to review compliance of the requirements of the WSOY Community Food Drive grant.
- Fund recipients agree to sign agreement of WSOY Community Food Drive requirements that all funds be used for the purchase of food.
- Please complete the application in full.
Thank you to our community partners!
Soy Capitol Bank Decatur Back and Neck Center
JL Hubbard Insurance & Bonds Skeff Distributing
ADM Jones and Thomas/ JTNet
First Christian Church Dales Southlake Pharmacy
WAND-TV Colee’s Corner Drugs
Herald and Review Dynagraphics/ Wood Printing
Tickets and Trips Kroger
Special Thanks to The United Way and The Community Foundation